Special thanks to Burlington Administration for signing on to IDEAS and supporting students!
Initiatives for Developing Equity and Achievement for Students (IDEAS), a program of EDCO, facilitated a Student Leadership Conference for 11th, and 12th grade students from member high schools. The purpose of the conference was to engage students from a range of racial and ethnic backgrounds in conversations on issues of racism, intolerance, discrimination, and allied behavior.
GOALS OF CONFERENCE:
- To provide students with the opportunity to learn from each other and build community within and across racial/ethnic groups
- To recognize different forms of discrimination and racism in our schools and society
- To recognize and challenge stereotypes
- To explore and understand the many aspects of identity
- To provide the opportunity for students to have affinity group conversations
- To recognize the importance of advocacy and being an ally for others
- To be able to inform districts about how students from different racial/ethnic groups perceive their school experience
"The conference was such an incredible experience, and a lot of fun! Meeting kids from other towns and hearing their stories made you feel inspired to make a difference. It may have taken up my Saturday, but it was SO worth it!" Kavya, Grade 11
Here are links to some resources.