The Cambridge Street Gallery is currently exhibiting the work of artist and middle school art teacher, Laura Phillips.
Create a photo collage that shows an action and a moment in time.
-Examine the work of artist David Hockney
-Set up your ipad with a collage app ( many students like pic collage, but you may find another that you like better)
-Take multiple photographs of an action or moment in time that you want to capture. You will need lots of photos and a panoramic view of the scene
- collage the photos together in a "organic' and overlapping composition or in a grid. Experiment with multiple compositions
-select the strongest composition that shows an action or moment in time
The Burlington Science Center is a wonderful resource for artists. They have live animals and an extensive taxidermy collection. In our classroom right now we have on loan a collection of insects including butterflies, moths and grasshoppers.
These will be the subject of your next work of art and are a great example of symmetry in nature.
You will create a work of art that depicts an insect and one type of balance.
There are three types of balance:
Go here is see more examples:
You can create a realistic or abstract drawing on white or black paper of the butterfly.
Water Soluble Wax Crayons
12" x 12" paper
1. Create a scratchboard from one of the following:
- understanding of the scratch tools
- understanding of how to create different textures
-understanding of how to create different values
2. Explain why you are creating that image/design for your scratchboard
Answer the following questions on the back of your scratchboard:
What was the inspiration for your drawing?
What is unique and different about your drawing?
Are you trying to convey a message? If so is it clearly stated or mysterious?
What is creative about your drawing?
Happy Halloween! Check out the great art costumes on my home page that are inspired by artists and works of art! If you wore a costume that referenced an artist or work of art you can earn " art money" today!
Here is the agenda for today:
1. Check Aspen and turn in any incomplete assignments
2. Make sure that you have turned in your Zentangles ( all three) and art history challenges ( 1-5)
3. Select two works of art that you feel were your strongest works of art from quarter 1 ( this includes sketchbook assignments too) and PHOTOGRAPH the work, edit and crop the photo and save them into your google drive or evernote folder for this class.
** it needs to be a high quality photo. Use your ipad or phone. The camera needs to be parallel to the image and there needs to be a good light source and no shadows on the work. Edit and crop out extra space around the image so that the image of the artwork is the only thing in the photograph
4. Complete the google form below
5. Organzine your art portfolio and sketchbook and make sure that all art is neat clean and organized.
6. Glue or tape in the two worksheets on the elements and principles of design into your sketchbook
7. Work on your "Surreal Architecture" drawing. Please read the assignment again ( I added some more information and make sure that you meet all of the criteria for the assignment)
Create a drawing of a surreal building that would impress Frank Gehry, Antoni Gaudi, Dr. Suess and M.C.Escher.
- what is the function and use of your building?
- who would use your building and why?
- what artists were you inspired by?
- what makes your building surreal?
Objective: Create a watercolor painting of autumn leaves
Create collage with simple shapes that conveys emotion using a limited palette of shapes
How do artists express feelings and emotions in their art?
How have these artists expressed feelings and emotions?
What feelings and emotions do you see in these works of art?
Make a list of 20 different feelings and emotions
Draw 10 boxes
In each box draw a different feeling or emotion using lines and shapes ( example: an aggressive line)
Select and execute the idea the expresses the most creativity
creativity: the use of the imagination or original ideas, esp. in the production of an artistic work
Objective: Create a line drawing that shows value, shape and form of ribbon. Make the entire page active by using the art principles of repetition and movement.
Use a black sharpie marker on the 5.5" x 8.5" paper
This is full year foundation course that will aid in your understanding and creating a wide variety of 2-D and 3-D artwork.