Create, design and paint the cover art for a music CD. You may choose a real band and album title or you may invent one. It must be an original design and not a copy of an album cover
The artwork must contain the following:
- Human face(s)/head(s) (extra points for expression)
- Depth – three-dimensional space
- Color harmony
- Mood through use of color, design and style
- Good craftsmanship – painterly effects
- Everything else is up to you
- Tempera paint, or drawing material of your choice or collage on 10” x 10″ Tag board
1. Look at the cover art for the CDs of a number of your favorite performers.
2. What type of music do you listen to? List styles of music:
3. Out of that list, choose a style of music for your CD, then brainstorm the name of the band and title of the album.
4. What’s the first thing to pop into your mind (visually) when you think about that style of music?
(ex: Jazz – flowing lines, bright colors, etc.)
5. How will you use visuals to capture and persuade your audience to buy this CD?
6. How can you give a sense of the style of music through visuals (color, design, style)?
7. How can the use of words and images contribute to the message of this particular band/music?
8. Draw thumbnail sketches to work out the composition and your visual ideas.
9. Draw the design on 10 x 10″ Bristol board.
10. Paint, draw or collage your cd cover design
11. Write at least a 1/2 page (typed) explaining your visual interpretation and the decisions you made in translating the style of music into visual terms. Refer to vocabulary worksheets and utilize proper art vocabulary.