For the mid- year exam you will create a new work of art that combines many of the elements and principles of design and art history that we studied this semester.
Read the details carefully and ask questions. You will need to plan for the project, sketch ideas and demonstrate your process before completing the finished work of art.
For the first part of the assignment you will need to sketch in your sketchbook 3-5 different ideas to full the assignment and bring them in for a class critique on Monday, January 14.
Create a work of art that depicts a city scene and tells a narrative story from your life, fiction or history.
In this two dimensional work of art you will:
1. Collage a background with a distinct color scheme that illustrates the time of day and mood or feeling
( view the work of Jacob Lawrence)
2. Create a city scene that illustrates buildings and or architectural structures that are inspired by Antoni Gaudi and/ or Frank Gehry
3. Include figures that tell a show and or action that are inspired by the simplified shapes in the artwork of Keith Haring, Jacob Lawrence or Faith Ringgold
4. Write the story you are illustrating in your artwork. This maybe written on the actual artwork, on the borders or below ( see Faith Ringgold's story quilts) or on a separate piece of paper
9" x 12" Paper
Magazines for collage
White Drawing Paper
Grading Criteria: Part 1
- 15% Ambition and Inventiveness
- 15% Narrative story illustrated
- 15% Influence from artists
- 15% Craftsmanship
Part 1 = 60% of Mid-Year Exam Grade
** Part 1 is due on the day of the exam. No late projects will be accepted