The following is due on Monday, March 31
This quarter you created artwork of your own theme and selection.
Please create a google presentation that includes the following:
High Quality photographs of your artwork that you created this quarter
Titles, materials used and size of your artwork
Artist statement and description of your work that you created this quarter
Place this in the shared class folder labeled "Quarter 3 presentation"
You will create a proposal for the next work of art that you will create. You need to gather your ideas and inspirations and write up the following:
This statement is due on November 15. Please create in google docs and share with me and your other classmates.
This artwork will be due on: December 2, 2013
"I have a magpie attitude to inspiration: I seek it from all sorts of sources; anything that allows me to think about how culture comes together. I'm always on the lookout – I observe people in the street; I watch films, I read, I think about the conversations that I have. I consider the gestures people use, or the colours they're wearing. It's about taking all the little everyday things and observing them with a critical eye; building up a scrapbook which you can draw on. Sometimes, too, I look at other artworks or films to get an idea of what not to do.
It's very important for inspiration to go elsewhere: to move away from the city into pastoral settings, and to make space for meditation. I also enjoy talking to people who aren't involved in art. For my recent work, I've had a lot of conversations with people involved in digital technologies. It's useful to get perspective on what you do by talking to all sorts of different people. "Isaac Julien
Create an idea section of your sketchbook. Collect, gather, arrange and sketch ideas that inspire you.
Check out this site
Read these articles:
5 Unique Ways To Brainstorm Out of A Creative Rut - Lori McNee Artist
What do you think? Is this site " artist Inspire artists" helpful for generating ideas? Why or why not?
What inspires you? What do you want to make art about? Did any of the articles help or give you ideas?
Write a minimum of a one page essay on what inspires you to make art. Please create in google docs and then share with me.
Due Date: Friday, November 15
Create a pencil and pen drawing of a paper sandwich bag that has a SURREAL element in or outside of the bag
1. Brainstorm and sketch ideas for the paper bag drawing and surreal element in the picture
2. Bring in any objects that might inspire you or appear in the drawing
3. Set- up the paper bag on the cardboard box and spotlight ( lighting can add drama, mood and atmosphere to you artwork)
4. Try crumpling, wrinkling and placing the paper bag or bags ina variety of ways
5. Sketch the bags and surreal elements in a variety of vertical and horizontal compositions
6. Critique the sketches and select the best composition
7. Create a drawing on the bristol board that utilizes the entire space
11" 14" bristol board
Graphite pencils 4H to 6B
Create a detailed graphite self portrait drawing in a reflective object that expresses you and an aspect of your personality.
Find an object that is reflective other than a mirror. This may be a metal iron, hubcap, fishbowl, coffee or teapot. The object should have SYMBOLISM- do not just select a random object from the closet- go home and search for something!
In the object you will find your reflection. Your image will be distorted in someway. Show an emotion in the reflection. Create 3-5 sketches of various compositions. Select the strongest composition. Create the drawing on the high quality paper.
Due Date: Friday, October 11
Create a still life drawing of objects from the classroom and from home.
1. Read the Scholastic Arts Magazine and watch the video
2. Set-up a still life scene on the small table on wheels in front of your " Inspiration" wall.
3. Select 3-5 materials each from the still life closet.
4. Sketch different points of view of the still life
5. Select strongest sketch
6. Create charcoal drawing
7. Use craypas to create still life drawing
You will be evaluated on the following:
Creation of compositional drawings
Ability to create a drawing of a still life
Use of materials
Use of time
Finding ideas can inspiration can be challenging for artists. So your challenge is to create an " Idea Wall". You have a large bulletin board next to your easels. One side of this board will be for your "Idea Wall" and the side will display completed work. Your challenge to to clean the board, cover it with black paper and start covering it with images, words, collections and anything else that inspires you. You will work on this for the next two days and I consider it to be an ongoing assignment. Have fun gathering, collecting and posting images
The current Social Studies hallway mural
Create a new mural for the Social Studies/ History hallway that represents the department
The current mural was created long ago when this hall was the primarily made up of Math classes. It has since changed and now is almost all Social Studies classes. The hallway needs to reflect the current make up of classes and teachers and identify visually the content and curriculum of the department.
1. Gather information from the faculty and students about what content and imagery the mural should contain. You may approach this through interviews, an on-line survey, brainstorm wall, group discussion in your class, etc.
2. Look at murals around the school, and at other schools and public spaces. What did you find? What inspires you and what does not "fit" or accurately represent the space that they are in. Critique the murals and decide what you would like to incorporate ( and not incorporate) into your work.
Check out this article:
3. Look at the work of:
1. Sketch, sketch and sketch...gather the information/ ideas and content and sketch ideas. You will need to consider the space and where and how you want to cover/ fill the area. Are you going to paint on both walls or one? Will you fill the entire space or have a white or solid background? What is your goal with the painting? What are you trying to visually convey about the Social Studies Department?
2. You each need to create 6-10 sketches and then show them to each other. All of the sketches will be critiqued by the class
1. Create a proposal board with the sketches and a statement describing the mural. You will be presenting the board to the Social Studies Department Chair and the Principal. Be prepared to answer questions, explain your choices and decisions. Expect criticism and be open to hearing suggestions.
1. Accept criticism and make the necessary changes. Your work is going to be viewed by many and most viewers will have an opinion and voice. Be prepared and open to suggestions. Edit your work accordingly.
1. Create your master piece on the wall. You will need to manage your supplies, equipment and painting in a public area. Many will be walking through the space and you will need to set up and maintain the supplies and equipment.
I left you each a few magazines on various artists. Please look over the magazines and read summaries of the artists.
Assignment: Write an essay sharing what you think about the artists and their work.
List the artists and describe their work. Then answer the following questions that apply:
Do you like the artists work? Why or Why not?
Did the artist inspire you in anyway to create or view things in a different way?
Do you like the subject matter that the artist selected?
Do you like the content or meaning of their work?
Do you like the materials the artist chose to work with?
Express your thoughts and opinions about the artists work and how it may or may not influence what you create.
Please write the essay in a google doc and share with me.
Due Thursday, April 4