Happy Halloween! Check out the great art costumes on my home page that are inspired by artists and works of art! If you wore a costume that referenced an artist or work of art you can earn " art money" today!
Here is the agenda for today:
1. Check Aspen and turn in any incomplete assignments
2. Make sure that you have turned in your Zentangles ( all three) and art history challenges ( 1-5)
3. Select two works of art that you feel were your strongest works of art from quarter 1 ( this includes sketchbook assignments too) and PHOTOGRAPH the work, edit and crop the photo and save them into your google drive or evernote folder for this class.
** it needs to be a high quality photo. Use your ipad or phone. The camera needs to be parallel to the image and there needs to be a good light source and no shadows on the work. Edit and crop out extra space around the image so that the image of the artwork is the only thing in the photograph
4. Complete the google form below
5. Organzine your art portfolio and sketchbook and make sure that all art is neat clean and organized.
6. Glue or tape in the two worksheets on the elements and principles of design into your sketchbook
7. Work on your "Surreal Architecture" drawing. Please read the assignment again ( I added some more information and make sure that you meet all of the criteria for the assignment)
Create a drawing of a surreal building that would impress Frank Gehry, Antoni Gaudi, Dr. Suess and M.C.Escher.
- what is the function and use of your building?
- who would use your building and why?
- what artists were you inspired by?
- what makes your building surreal?
Create collage with simple shapes that conveys emotion using a limited palette of shapes
How do artists express feelings and emotions in their art?
How have these artists expressed feelings and emotions?
What feelings and emotions do you see in these works of art?
Make a list of 20 different feelings and emotions
Draw 10 boxes
In each box draw a different feeling or emotion using lines and shapes ( example: an aggressive line)
Select and execute the idea the expresses the most creativity
creativity: the use of the imagination or original ideas, esp. in the production of an artistic work
Go to this site to read about the poster contest:
MA Safe Jobs Poster Contest
Step 1: Read the following sections: "Poster Announcement" and "Helpful Tips"
Step 2: Go to "Past Winning Posters" section
Step 3: Select your favorite poster design
Step 4: Copy the image into a document on your ipad ( evernote, notepad, etc.) and answer the following questions:
Does this poster capture your attention? Why or why not?
What is the "slogan" of the poster? How did the artist convey a message in the poster? What images, colors and text did the artist use in the poster? How does this support the theme and the message of the poster?
* you will show me the image and your writing on your ipad for credit so please place it into your Design Folder on your ipad for grading
Step 5: In your sketchbook create 4 different possible slogans for the poster
Step 6: Divide one page of your sketchbook into four sections. Create four different sketches of ideas using one or more of the slogans.
Step 7: Be prepared to discuss your ideas during our class critique
Due Date: Wednesday, October 23
Create a pencil drawing that shows the value and form of fabric
1. Get a piece of fabric ( you may want to use a solid color)
2. Arrange the fabric on a table or pin it to the wall
3. Set up a light source (lamp or spot light) on the fabric so that you can see and observe value ( lights and darks)
3. Create a contour line drawing of the fabric
4. Add values to define the form
5. Use an eraser to create the light values of the fabric
Due: Wednesday, October 16
Objective: Create a line drawing that shows value, shape and form of ribbon. Make the entire page active by using the art principles of repetition and movement.
Use a black sharpie marker on the 5.5" x 8.5" paper
Homework for Wednesday, October 9:
Please bring the following items in a plastic bag with your name on it:
a LONG piece of ribbon
Leaves of different shapes, sizes and colors
A small branch or twig
This is full year foundation course that will aid in your understanding and creating a wide variety of 2-D and 3-D artwork.