Assignment: Create a tempera painting of an animal
1. Select a picture from the National Geographic magazines of an animal
2. Set up the paper and scale up the drawing of the animal
3. Paint the background first (paint light colors to dark colors)
4. Paint the larger shapes of the animal first
5. Paint the details last
National Geographic magazines
Ability to mix colors
Ability to paint accurate details and textures of the animals
Use of materials
Use of time
Create a still life drawing of three different objects that demonstrates your understanding of shape, form and value.
1. Watch the video and any other tutorials that you find helpful. ( Send me a link so I can add them on to resources list for other students!)
2. Set up a still life of three objects on white paper or cloth. Place a lamp or spotlight near the still life so that you can see shadows and highlights.
3. Sketch and place the objects on the page
4. Measure and compare the shapes and MAKE EDITS
5. Draw in negative space around the objects
6. Start adding value with pencil lines
7. Use your value scale to compare to your drawing and add and subtract accurate values.
Objective: Create a Mandala Color Wheel that demonstrates your ability to mix tints and shades of colors
1. Draw out a design in a circle shape that repeats shapes
2. Label ( lightly with pencil) all of the areas in the order of the color wheel
3. Paint in the areas with tempera paint
4. Correct and edit and colors that aren't accurate
5. Outline the shapes with black marker
1. Use of materials
2. Ability to create a mandala
3. Ability to mix colors
4. Craftsmanship in painting
This is full year foundation course that will aid in your understanding and creating a wide variety of 2-D and 3-D artwork.