AUGUSTE RODIN (1840 -1917)THE CATHEDRAL1908 Stone
Create a clay sculpture of your hand in a position that expresses an emotion and feeling through gesture.
Terra Cotta Clay
Mats for the table
Construction of the ceramic hand
Attention to detail
Emotion conveyed through the gesture of the hand
Use of Materials
Create a coil pot demonstrating your knowledge of hand-building techniques and design principles -repetition, movement and rhythm.
Sketch coil and linear designs on white paper with black marker
Learn coil building techniques
Create the bottom of the pot and then build a container using coils
Crete a coils in a variety of directions, and shapes in order to build a unique form that demonstrates the design principles
Assignment: Create a tempera painting of an animal
1. Select a picture from the National Geographic magazines of an animal
2. Set up the paper and scale up the drawing of the animal
3. Paint the background first (paint light colors to dark colors)
4. Paint the larger shapes of the animal first
5. Paint the details last
National Geographic magazines
Ability to mix colors
Ability to paint accurate details and textures of the animals
Use of materials
Use of time
Example of a large class collage
Check out this artist:http://www.greendiary.com/derek-gores-creates-amazing-collage-art-from-recycled-magazines.html
Objective: Create a collage color wheel that demonstrates your understanding and knowledge of the color wheel
1. Examine color wheel and make sure that you understand and can name all of the colors and order of the colors
2. Sketch a design on square tag board paper using any shapes that you like, but contains enough shapes for all of the sections of the color wheel
3. Collect the colors that you need to create your color wheel from recycled magazines
4. Cut or tear the colors needed and separate into envelopes
5. Collage the colors onto the paper using glue
6. Check your craftsmanship and edit work if necessary
Learn more about artist Roy Litchenstein here: One Dot at a Time
Create an expressive pop art piece that show emotion
Examine the work of Roy Litchenstein
Brainstorm and sketch ideas for subject for your pop art piece, it maybe a self portrait, portrait of a friend or pop culture icon
Plan your composition carefully
Include a speech bubble and text
Sketch image onto the white paper
Select colors and decide which areas will be solid colors and which will be benday dots
Paint the area of the pop art piece working from light to darker colors
When all the paint has dried, paint the black lines. Be sure to vary the thickness of the lines
Edit and make any improvements necessary
Did the student create pop art that shows emotion?
Did the student demonstrate understanding of pop art?
Did the student solve the art challenge in a unique way?
Did the students attend to details and demonstrate high quality craftsmanship?
Did the student use materials properly?
Did the student use time efficiently?
Check out these artists:http://www.abstract-art-framed.com/famous-abstract-art.html
Create an abstract painting with acrylic paint
Examine the work of abstract painters
Analyze and study the work
Paint a recycled cereal box with white gesso
Paint the "canvas" with colors and palette of your choice
Read the full assignment here:http://mschangart.weebly.com/5/post/2014/03/color-field-painting.html
Objectives: Create a series of color collages that create optical illusions and demonstrate your understanding of color theory
Create four color collage that illustrate your understanding of color harmonies
1. Color Harmonies - or color scheme is the use of two or more colors in a single composition.
a. Monochromatic - all the same hues or colors, though the value and intensity can be different
b. Complementary Harmonies - hues of directly opposite values on the color wheel are used, i.e.: Red and Green.
c. Analogous Harmonies - color adjacent to one another on the color wheel are used, red and red-orange.
d. Triadic Harmonies - the use of three colors equidistant on the color wheel.
1. Read and understand the links on the post " Color Theory Resources"
2. Read and examine the work of artist Josef Albers
3. Cut four squares of colors
4. Cut out other color squares of various sizes and colors
5. Create four collages that show the following color harmonies: Monochromatic, Complementary, Analogous and Triadic
6. Glue collages together
7. Mat all collages
Understanding of color theory
Ability to create a collage that illustrates the color harmony
Honor Nelson Mandela through the creation of a work of art
Educate yourself about the life of Nelson Mandela by watching the video and reading the blog post on the homepage and the links attached
Read this passage
http://newshour-tc.pbs.org/newshour/extra/wp-content/uploads/Nelson-Mandela-Reflects-on-Working-Toward-Peace.pdfExamine these posters that show Mandela's struggle:
Use your ipad to gather quotes and images that represent and document the his life.
Using your ipad and an app that uses collage, drawing and painting or text create a work of art that honors Mandela's life.
It may be a collage, a painting, a video, slideshow, it is up to you.
It may contain photographs, quotes, text and your drawings.
How did you honor Nelson Mandela in your art?
What is unique and special about your wrk of art?
What makes your artwork different from your classmates?
This is full year foundation course that will aid in your understanding and creating a wide variety of 2-D and 3-D artwork.