Design Final - Part 1
CD COVER DESIGN | Final Exam
Create, design and paint the cover art for a music CD. You may choose a real band and album title or you may invent one. It must be an original design and not a copy of an album cover
The artwork must contain the following:
1. Look at the cover art for the CDs of a number of your favorite performers.
2. What type of music do you listen to? List styles of music:
3. Out of that list, choose a style of music for your CD, then brainstorm the name of the band and title of the album.
4. What’s the first thing to pop into your mind (visually) when you think about that style of music?
(ex: Jazz – flowing lines, bright colors, etc.)
5. How will you use visuals to capture and persuade your audience to buy this CD?
6. How can you give a sense of the style of music through visuals (color, design, style)?
7. How can the use of words and images contribute to the message of this particular band/music?
8. Draw thumbnail sketches to work out the composition and your visual ideas.
9. Draw the design on 10 x 10″ Bristol board.
10. Paint, draw or collage your cd cover design
11. Write at least a 1/2 page (typed) explaining your visual interpretation and the decisions you made in translating the style of music into visual terms. Refer to vocabulary worksheets and utilize proper art vocabulary.
Cut a photograph of a face in half. Create a drawing of the other half of the face to complete the portrait
Magazines, Scissors, Glue, Pencils, Erasers
Ability to render and replicate the other half of the face
Ability to measure and create accurate proportions
Use of Materials
Due Date: Tuesday, June 11
Painted Lino Block
Create a new work of art from your used lino block. Alter your lino block self portrait by using acrylic paint to enhance your self portrait to become a relief sculpture.
Carefully select colors and paint the lino block. Apply paint in a variety of ways and with different amounts of paint. Experiment and test the colors.
Use of materials
Ability to improve and alter a lino block
Level of experimentation
Assignment: Alter one or more of your prints with drawing and or painting materials
1. Gather the extra prints that you created that may not have qualified as " good prints". Draw on top of the prints with craypas or paint with tempera paint in the negative space. Experiment with various color combinations, complimentary, analogous, etc.
2. Trim the print and mount on black paper and place in the completed work bin
Ability to transform a print with other materials
Demonstrate an understanding of the work of Jim Dine
Use of Materials
Use of Time
This is full year foundation course that will aid in your understanding and creating a wide variety of 2-D and 3-D artwork.