Relief Sculpture: sculpture that projects in varying degrees from a two-dimensional background—has a distinguished history dating back over 20,000 years in Eastern and Western cultures
Create a relief sculpture using foam core of a famous work of art from Art History
The original painting was created by artist Vincent Van Gogh and was recreated in cardboard. Notice how the artist layered the cardboard and used texture and shape to recreate Van Gogh's painting.
Steps for Design Challenge
1. Select an artist from the art history books provided
2. Read the Art and Man magazine about the artist
3. Complete the Q and A sheet about your artist and sketch ideas for your relief sculpture on the sheet provided.
4. Start gathering foam core pieces
5. Use Xacto blades to cut forms and shapes needed
6. Layer and alter foam core pieces
7. The last step is gluing the pieces together- but layout all of the pieces BEFORE gluing together
8. Edit and refine artwork
9. Print picture of artwork interpreted
10. Photograph artwork and place in google classroom
1. Ability to interpret a flat work of art into a relief sculpture
2. Understanding of the artwork and artist who created the work selected
3. Craftsmanship and ability to use tools
4. Application of the Elements and Principles of Design
Comments are closed.
This is full year foundation course that will aid in your understanding and creating a wide variety of 2-D and 3-D artwork.