Still Life Drawing Portfolio
For the month of December you will work on creating a total of three still life drawings. Each drawing will have a different subject, materials and challenges. You will need to be flexible and work with your classmates as you will need to move around the classroom and changed seats as you draw different subjects. The three previous posts give examples and list the materials that you will use.
By Thursday, December 20 you will turn in the following completed drawings:
1. Graphite Drawing of Paper Bags on 12" x 18" white drawing paper
2. White Charcoal Drawing of white still life objects on 9" x 12" black paper
3. Pen drawing on white bristol paper "11 x 14" of white object still life
White Charcoal Still Life Drawing
Create a still life drawing using white charcoal pencils.
9" x 12" black paper
white charcoal pencils
Use pen to create a drawing of the still life using cross hatching to create the values of the subject matter
1. Read article " Compositional Choices" ( handout)
2. Create 4-6 thumbnail sketches in pencil of the still life. Use a viewfinder to select the composition. Explain in class critique the composition that you selected, and the where your selected to place the focal point and why.
3. Create pencil sketch on bristol paper
4. Practice cross hatching and creating different values on the sample paper
5. Create the still life drawing on bristol paper using pen
6. Check craftsmanship and values of the drawing
7. Critique classmates work and offer suggestions to others
Homework- Eye Drawings
Read the following tutorial:
Create four drawings of friends and family members eyes. Try to capture different expressions. Include eyebrows and the entire eye. Use pencil.
Due Date: Tuesday, December 11
Texture Scavenger Hunt
Create a drawing of various textures
"Silent gratitude isn't very much use to anyone. (Anonymous)
What are you grateful for? Create a work of art in your sketchbook that illustrates something, someone or what you are grateful for.
Check out these examples:
Art journal love
Due Date: Thursday, November 29
Altered Book - Part 2
Your edited altered book is due on Friday, November 16
Directions for Wednesday, November 7
Today is a studio day. Make it a productive one and complete the following:
1. Complete the google form from 10/20 Ribbon of Awareness- yes believe it or not some of you have still not completed this and I have no idea what your drawing is about.
2. Work on the Ribbon drawing.
3. Send me a picture in an email of your drawing. Use your ipad. Whatever stage it is at is fine- it does not have to be complete!
4. Start the homework assignment tonight if you have not already. It is a long assignment and you must get going. You need to spend 2.5 to 3 hours on it.
Enjoy your studio day!
Homework - Due November 15
Pen and Ink Drawing by Maya Russell
Pen and Ink Drawing by Lina Wu
Sci- Fi Drawing Homework Assignment
Create your own Sci-Fi drawing that fills the entire page; shows space from an extreme angle ( bird’s eye view or worm’s eye view); and has a narrative.
1. Check out these cool drawings:
Killer Sci-Fi Drawings in Sketchbook › Illusion – The Most Amazing Creations in Art, Photography, Design, and Video.
2. Create thumbnail sketches of 3-4 ideas prior to starting
3. Practice creating different values and marks with a ballpoint or other type of pen
4. Create a drawing using the pen that demonstrates your understanding of the assignment and meets all of the criteria listed
Drawing and Painting